MATH 121 sections 4 and 6: College Algebra
MATH 121 sections 4 and 6 Homepage
Welcome, please note that the offical syllabus is linked here for section 4 and here for section 6. Please note this webpage is where test solutions and reviews are to be posted. For your convenience, I have provided a few links to points further down this page.
I. Course Contact Information for:
- Instructor: Dr. James S. Cook
- Office: Applied Science 105
- Office Hours: M-T-W-R-F from 11:00am-12:00pm
- Email: email@example.com
- Office Phone: 434-582-2476
- Section 4: Lectures and tests are in Science Hall 134
- Section 4: Lecture Times: MWF 1:45-2:35pm
- Section 6: Lectures and tests are in DeMoss 1101
- Section 6: Lecture Times: MWF 2:55-3:45pm
II. Useful Materials and Links:
- Math Graphs Website - Printable Graphs from certain exercises in your text.
- Matrix Calculator Site - Calculates matrix inverse for you.
- Matrix Calculator Site - Multiplies matrices for you ( use to check answers )
- NCSU Matrix Calculator Site - Will do the "Gauss-Jordon" row reduction for you ("reduce completely" button).
III. Test Reviews and Solutions:
Review for Test 1: gives rough format and calculations that were most important.
Solution for Test 1: solution.
Review for Test 2: gives rough format and calculations that were most important.
Solution for Test 2: solution.
Review for Test 3: overview of the most important concepts.
Solution for Test 3: solution.
IV. Lecture Notes:
- [Pages 1-4] Number systems and the number line. (P.1, 8.3)
- [Pages 5-8] Laws of exponents and radicals.(P.2)
- [Pages 9-11] Polynomials and polynomial multiplication.(P.3)
- [Pages 12-14] Factoring polynomials.(P.4)
- [Pages 15-18] Algebra of rational expressions.(P.5)
- [Pages 19-21] Graphing equations, circles defined.(1.1, 1.2)
- [Pages 22-25] On solving quadratic equations.(1.4)
- [Pages 26-30] Applications of quadratic eqns, complex number arithmatic.(1.4,1.5)
- [Pages 31-34] Other algebra problems.(1.6)
- [Pages 35-38] Inequalities and critical points.(1.7,1.8)
- [Pages 39-40] Graphing lines, paralell and perpendicular.(2.1)
(Test 1 Covers pages 1-40 of the lecture notes and the corresponding portions of the text.)
- [Pages 41-48] Functions, graphs and domains.(2.2,2.3)
- [Pages 49-50] Transformation of graphs, adding, subtracting, multiplying and composite functions, inverse functions.(2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7)
- [Pages 60-67] Graphs of quadratic functions and models.(3.1)
- [Pages 68-73] Graphs of polynomial functions.(3.2)
- [Pages 74-76] Theory of polynomials.(lots of places)
- [Pages 77-81] Guided factoring and long division.(not in text, 3.3, 3.4)
- [Pages 82-87] Rational functions and their asymptotes.(4.1, 4.2)
(Test 2 Covers pages 41-87 of the lecture notes and the corresponding portions of the text.)
- [Pages 88-92] Compound and continuous interest, exponential functions.(5.1)
- [Pages 93-95] Logarithmic functions, graphs and domains.(5.2)
- [Pages 96-101] Properties of logarithms and exponentials and solving related equations.(5.3,5.4)
- [Pages 102-108] Solving linear and nonlinear systems through graphing and/or subsitution. (6.1,6.2,6.3)
- [Pages 109-110] Curve fitting.(6.3)
- [Pages 111] Systems of inequalities, linear programming.(6.4,6.5)
- [Pages 112-122] Matrix math, solving systems with multiplication by inverse coefficient matrix.(7.2,7.3)
- [Pages 123-127] Augmented coefficient matrix, Gauss-Jordon elimination by calculator.(7.1)
- [Pages 128-131] Determinants and Kramer's rule.(7.4,7.5))
- [Pages 132-134] Encryption by matrix multiplication.(7.5)
(Test 3 Covers pages 88-134 of the lecture notes and the corresponding portions of the text.)
V. Bonus Point Policy:
Bonus points can be earned for correcting errors of a typographical nature. Also particularly insightful questions in lecture may earn bonus points. The points are weighted with the tests. For example, if you earned 5 bonus points then you could change a 95 test grade to a 100 effectively.
VI. Collected Homework List:
Click here for homework list in pdf-format
Click here for homework list in webpage-format
Back to my Home
Last Modified: 4-30-09